Successful event tips
Here follow tips for a successful weekend celebration event focussed around our Cockatoo Room. If you have already booked an event here you will find this .pdf Event Manual will be a useful download for your Master of Ceremonies or event organiser.
- Remember your event is meant to be fun for you. Aim to create plenty of time for you to interact with your guests. Ensuring that brides and grooms or guests-of-honour do not have to worry or over-commit their time and energy to organising and/or doing things on the actual celebration day is in itself an achievement. Plan this aspect carefully.
- Consider booking at least Cafe cottage for more than the minimum 2 weekend nights (ideally at least one at each end) so that you can set-up and/or clean-up, even socialise, at a more leisurely pace.
- Be creative with your actual event. Normally your booking will give you access to our room the day before your event. You are free to decorate inside and under the verandas as you wish using installed hooks, wire and supplied roll of fishing line. We request you do not use sticky tape or other fixings that will damage our walls. Note that we have tablecloths for hire. You are free to erect stages, arches, frames, dance floors, tents but if these might require pegs or driving-in of posts check with our office the location of water pipes and underground power. The safety of temporary structures organised by you is your responsibility. We charge extra if you want to erect a marquee.
- We have a 12-channel sound system able to take inputs from IPhones/Pads/Pods, MP3 players, CDs as well as multiple microphone or instrument inputs. We have microphone capacity for speeches. We have an overhead projector to which a computer can be connected for a personalised, amusing/embarrassing, photographic or slide past life presentation.
- Having to vacate accommodation by 11am on the morning after a big celebration can be a challenge that needs consideration. We can generally, but not always (please check with us), allow a late checkout (say 1pm or later) in Cafe and Cockatoo but we may need the smaller cottages vacated by 11am so we can prepare for incoming guests. Avoiding any rush might be a good reason for you to consider extending at least the Café Cottage booking for an extra night. Remember we expect kitchens, equipment and the function room itself to be left in the condition and in the places you found them. A normal professional clean of floors and toilets and removal of bagged rubbish is included in the tariff but you will be charged additionally for any crockery, cutlery and glasses not washed (or broken) and put away, for any rubbish not bagged or boxed ready for removal and for any function room tables and chairs or equipment not put away.
- Consider having a brunch on the morning after your main event (using the Café kitchen and/or BBQs) to which all guests who have attended your event, whether accommodated at Bawley Bush Cottages or elsewhere, are invited. Many of our guest groups enjoy this occasion for post-mortems and farewells. Consider having such brunch separately catered. If not consider engaging a waiter or kitchen-hand to assist in such Sunday brunch and/or function room clean-up. Though friends are usually more than willing, having an (inexpensive) paid hand to help and do odd set-up jobs and removal to assist friends is well worth considering. We can help you find such people, check Local Providers>Waiters on our website.
- Consider dividing accommodation tariffs into a flat per person per night tariff so guests who you want to contribute to costs can easily do so. We are prepared to split bills but if so we need to know what is happening in advance.
- For an event of up to 100 people there is sufficient parking in our car-parks and on our roadsides. If your event is larger and the ground is dry we can provide for overflow parking on grass with witches hats marking parking limits so as to not interfere with photography between the Cockatoo Room and the lake. It can help if you allocate someone to be a parking marshall. When the ground is wet then it will not be possible to park on the grass so roadsides further from the Cockatoo Room will need to be used for parking.
- We have white Bali wedding banners that can be borrowed and placed at our gateway if you wish to so identify your celebration location to arriving guests. You can also tie balloons or ribbon to the roadsign on Bawley Point Road.
- The Cockatoo Room servery is suitable for use as a bar only for functions of up to about 30 people. All larger functions will need to set up a temporary bar on the verandas. We have a moveable servery and large ice containers to facilitate this. In locating your bar give consideration to ensuring that those who are being served are not blocking the free flow of guests elsewhere. A reminder, you are not authorised to sell alcohol.
- We have space for ovverflow friends/guests to camp in tents, campers or caravans wherever you like to locate them (but that subject to weather-related ground conditions). They will have access to all Cockatoo Room toilets, bathrooms and showers. The tariff payable for such overflow accommodation is included under our Tariff Tab. Give consideration to locating such campers where they will not interfere with views or photographs. If using areas other than to east of Café and Cockatoo Room be sure to ask where poly water pipes are located if you intend to drive in tent pegs.
- Weatherproof 15amp and 10 amp power sockets available on the Cockatoo Room veranda and gazebo can be used for whatever purpose is needed, including by musicians, DJs or for campers. We have some extension leads you are free to borrow but be careful not to leave equipment/adaptors in a position where they could get wet.
- We carry sufficient crockery, cutlery, wine, champagne and drinking glasses to cater for a function of 100 people. This stock will be spread between the Cafe Cottage and Cockatoo Room kitchens. It is a condition of use that all such stock and all kitchen equipment be left clean and stored away again where found after use. That applies also to the domestic and commercial dishwashers. We charge for staff time extra to a normal clean.
- If using our grounds for part of your event make fall-back arrangements for wet or hot weather. We believe we have the facilities to cope with either eventuality.
- The Cockatoo Room is endowed with veranda lights and flood lights that spill light away from the building. You are free to add whatever other decorative low-wattage, non-heat-generating lighting, eg fairy lights or lanternes, you wish. No candles inside.
- The only restriction we have regarding music is that loud and/or throbbing music must cease by 11pm. Your event will be private but the reason for this restriction is that neighbours live over the lake and noise travels across water very readily.